<Like this article? Visit our website www.asthmacare.us >
According to the Buteyko theory, normalization of breathing will positively affect every aspect of human health and will set the healing process in motion for a wide variety of diseases and pathologies in the body.
Studies of Russian doctors practicing the Buteyko method, as well as studies published in Western publications, reveal that over 150 health conditions are related to heavy breathing, or are possible only in conditions of hyperventilation. This is less than 1% of all health pathologies (about 30,000) currently known to the medical science. ‘I hear a whisper of indignation and joy: “So, are all diseases from deep breathing?” No, not all. Deep breathing causes one single disease: the disease of deep breathing. It causes a wide spectrum of pathologies. Why? It interrupts the metabolism of the substances – the foundation of life in all cells. These or other symptoms are manifested, and their strong expression is qualified as disease…’(Buteyko, 1977).
Where the Buteyko application has limitations
the fundamentals of the Buteyko theory do not claim an accurate and full description of the basic changes in the human body under the following processes and types of pathologies:
1. Infectious diseases.
2. Diseases caused by genetic disorders (but the presence of “genetic predisposition” does not limit the application of the Buteyko theory)
3. Serious forms of mental disorders
5. Extreme states of body distress such as caused by narcotics, poisonings, burns, radiation, etc.
6. Person’s states on the verge of life and death (Resuscitation)
7. Normal ageing.
8. Brain injury, unconscious states.
10. The processes in human body directly caused by reproductive function
However, the application of the Buteyko theory and therapy in the listed areas often allows one to greatly increase the efficiency of the medical aid. ( Vladimir K. Buteyko and Marina M. Buteyko THE BUTEYKO THEORY ABOUT A KEY ROLE OF BREATHING FOR HUMAN HEALTH)
Clearing infections will ensure an adequate progress with the Buteyko Therapy
It is recommended to clear any existing bacterial, parasite or fungal infections prior to or together with starting a Buteyko treatment. Besides obvious and more serious bacterial infections, those include athlete’s foot, mouth, vaginal and intestinal candida, inflamed root canals, “dead” tonsils, intestinal worms etc.
Most of the contraindications are listed below, however, in some cases a very gentle therapy might be applied. People with following conditions should never apply Buteyko without consulting both their doctor and an experienced Buteyko Practitioner.
- Arterial aneurysm
- Hemorrhagic stroke
- Current cancer treatment
- Recent heart attack within 12 weeks
- Brain tumor
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- History of serious cardiac rhythm disorder (unless pacemaker fitted)
- Severe renal failure (includes dialysis)
- Uncontrolled hyperthyroidism
- Sickle cell disease
- Acute schizophrenia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) with cor pulmonale
- Pregnancy (first trimester)
For this group a very gentle Buteyko approach is recommended. People with following conditions are strongly advised to work with a Buteyko Practitioner rather than self help learning tools.
- Diabetes, especially insulin controlled
- Mild/controlled hypertension
- Thyroid disease
- Angina/previous heart attack
- Past history of schizophrenia
- Reduced kidney function
- Pregnancy (second and third trimester)
Buteyko Clinic USA offers unique breathing rehabilitation programs that result in long term drug free control over asthma, allergies, COPD, rhinitis, chronic cough, snoring, sleep apnea, anxiety, panic, chronic hyperventilation syndrome and other chronic conditions. Contact us today for a free consultation.